An antique WW1 Marshall campaign chest in rustic pine and ply with twin working locks and original key, sympathetically restored & hand-finished in our Lincolnshire workshop.
Measurements (cm): 91.5W x 35H x 53D
With knots & quirks, grains, textures & tones this old military footlocker trunk bears the marks of age & use, has an attractive patina and rustic industrial styling. We have another of these military Marshall chests available for sale in the same dimensions if you are looking for a complimentary pair.
- Ply body with rustic pine bracings
- Steel reinforced corners, edges and lid
- 3 industrial pressed steel chest handles with copper rivets to front face handle
- Inlaid ends with original vintage gunmetal grey paint finishes to all panels
- Authentic military text to front face 'R. Llewellyn Brown. R.E.'
- Central polished brass up and over clasp
- Double working locks with original key and brass escutcheons
- Lots of genuine vintage luggage labels original to the chest from all over the world
- Network of wooden base runners with full set of integral castors
- Full original zinc lining with manufacturers label to lid 'The Marshall Improved Air & Water-Tight Chest'
- Vintage style paper label
At Vintage Trunks & Chests we work with care, expertise & attention to fine detail. Our restorations are completed using time-honoured methods & everything is finished in numerous coats of a premium wax polish to naturally enhance, revive & protect the original patina.
The antique rustic finish on this trunk includes some shrinkage gaps and pieces of wood missing in places. There is heavy corrosion to the interior zinc lining in the back right corner with a piece missing which has been patched and refixed (see photo for details). There is some corrosion to the metalwork predominantly to the metal reinforcing around the base of the chest at each end, may have some sharp edges. There is a small amount of minor old woodworm mostly to the original base runners. The exterior plywood base is a reclaimed replacement and we have added extra runners to both sides of the base in reclaimed wood.
Our standard delivery charge is to Mainland UK addresses only and can now include a Saturday delivery. If you are outside this area please get in touch prior to purchase so we can provide a quote to ship to your postcode. In an effort to reduce our consumption of new materials we are currently trialling the use of recycled packaging when shipping our items. So your parcel is likely to arrive with you wrapped in re-used cardboard :) You can be sure your item will still be packaged safely to protect it in transit and you'll be involved in helping the planet!
Antique, vintage and pre-owned goods by their very nature are not new, they have their own unique quirks & imperfections. Our antique & vintage trunks & chests & hand crafted items made from reclaimed materials will inevitably show some signs of wear & tear commensurate with age & previous use which may include: knocks, bumps & dents; scrapes, scuffs & scratches; marks, stains, fading & discolouration; snags, tears, peeling & wrinkling; surface corrosion; exposed fixings; old fixing holes; missing pieces; shrinkage gaps; paint remnants; small repairs; old/treated woodworm; corroded & missing metalwork; sharp edges; newly-fitted & replacement parts including fixtures & fittings. Notable quirks are outlined & the photographs are integral to the written description.
1-2 business days
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Just contact me within: 14 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 30 days of delivery
Request a cancellation within: 7 days of purchase
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Because of the nature of these items, unless they arrive damaged or defective, I can't accept returns for:
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
Information We Collect
To fulfil your order, you must provide us with certain information (which you authorised Etsy to provide to us), such as your name, email address, postal address, payment information, and the details of the product that you’re ordering. You may also choose to provide us with additional personal information (for a custom order for example), if you contact us directly.
Why We Need Your Information and How We Use It
We rely on a number of legal bases to collect, use, and share your information, including:
- as needed to provide our services, such as when we use your information to fulfil your order, to settle disputes, or to provide customer support;
- when you have provided your affirmative consent, which you may revoke at any time, such as by signing up for our mailing list;
- if necessary to comply with a legal obligation or court order or in connection with a legal claim, such as retaining information about your purchases if required by tax law; and
Information Sharing and Disclosure
Information about our customers is important to our business. We share your personal information for very limited reasons and in limited circumstances, as follows:
- Service providers. We engage certain trusted third parties to perform functions and provide services to our shop, such as delivery companies. We will share your personal information with these third parties, but only to the extent necessary to perform these services.
- Business transfers. If we sell or merge our business, we may disclose your information as part of that transaction, only to the extent permitted by law.
- Compliance with laws. We may collect, use, retain, and share your information if we have a good faith belief that it is reasonably necessary to: (a) respond to legal process or to government requests; (b) enforce our agreements, terms and policies; (c) prevent, investigate, and address fraud and other illegal activity, security, or technical issues; or (d) protect the rights, property, and safety of our customers, or others.
If you reside in certain territories, including the EU, you have a number of rights in relation to your personal information. While some of these rights apply generally, certain rights apply only in certain limited cases. We describe these rights below:
- Access. You may have the right to access and receive a copy of the personal information we hold about you by contacting us using the contact information below.
- Change, restrict, delete. You may also have rights to change, restrict our use of, or delete your personal information. Except exceptional circumstances (like where we are required to store data for legal reasons) we will generally delete your personal information upon request.
- Object. You can object to (i) our processing of some of your information based on our legitimate interests and (ii) receiving marketing messages from us after providing your express consent to receive them. In such cases, we will delete your personal information unless we have compelling and legitimate grounds to continue using that information or if it is needed for legal reasons.
- Complain. If you reside in the EU and wish to raise a concern about our use of your information (and without prejudice to any other rights you may have), you have the right to do so with your local data protection authority.
For purposes of EU data protection law, we, Simon Challis & Kerry Clow, are the data controllers of your personal information. If you have any questions or concerns, you may contact us at email@example.com.
Alternately, you may mail us at:
Vintage Trunks & Chests, Swallow Barn, Fen Road, Toynton All Saints, Spilsby, Lincs. PE23 5DF UK
We aim to dispatch all orders for in stock trunks and chests within 1-2 business days by 24 hour courier. After purchase do let us know if you have a preferred date for delivery so we can arrange this for you and feel free to add a note with any additional instructions for the courier. We also need a mobile telephone contact number for the courier text alert service before we can book your item in for delivery so please let us have this asap to avoid any delay! We aim to complete and deliver made to order items within 21 days. Very large, heavy and high value items may be hand-delivered by arrangement.
Our new courier service provider is able to send customers an automated text notification on the morning of the scheduled delivery with a 2 hour window to help you plan your day. If you have any questions or additional instructions regarding your delivery, please contact us - we are more than happy to help!
Our standard charge applies to Mainland UK addresses and can now include a Saturday delivery! If you are outside this area please contact us first so we can provide a quote to ship to your postcode. We may be able to offer a Global Shipping option for some of our items - please contact us for a personalised quote from our specialist antiques shipping partner.
All our items are hand finished in several coats of a quality wax polish. A wax finish naturally enhances the wood and revives and protects the original patina, however it doesn't have the same protection as a lacquered finish (the type you may find on shop bought furniture). So to keep your item in tip top condition it's advised to wax it periodically depending on the wear and tear it receives, the suggestion for a coffee table is twice a month. Only the top need be done with a clear wax according to the instructions on the product used. You may also wish to wax the whole piece every 6-12 months to maintain the finish. This will feed, hydrate and protect the wood, maintain the depth of colour and help your furniture to stay looking great!
In an effort to reduce our consumption of new materials we are currently trialling the use of recycled packaging when shipping our items. So your parcel is likely to arrive with you wrapped in re-used cardboard :) You can be sure your item will still be packaged safely to protect it in transit and you'll be involved in helping the planet!