A superior quality Edwardian hat box with embossed leather & brass details and original key by Best & Co. Mayfair, carefully conserved & hand-finished in our Lincolnshire workshop.
Measurements (cm): W 57.5 x H 42 x D 51
With outstanding preserved vintage luggage labels and original text this classic piece of antique luggage is in excellent condition with incredible provenance and superb historical interest.
- Waxed black canvas exterior with robust leather reinforced corners, cleaned preserved and wax polished
- Chunky leather central lid handle embossed 'Bests Own Make' in brass keepers embossed with maker's details 'Maker Best 64A S. Audley St. London W'
- Original luggage labels still attached to handle 'From Cox & Kings (Agents Ltd) Kings House, 10 Haymarket London SW1' 'Lord Crichton-Stuart A.D.C to Earl Dalhousie SS Winchester Castle' and 'The Rt Hon The Earl of Dalhousie 23 Down Street London W1'.
- Authentic hand-painted white initials 'M.D.' to lid
- Burnished brasswork with copper rivets including 2 up and over clasps
- Central working brass lock with original key, embossed with maker's details, and brass button escutcheon (push to right side to release mechanism) with matching brass button to locking clasp
- Steel studs to base - 1 at each corner integral to the reinforcings and 1 to the centre
- Original full fabric lined interior cleaned and conserved with authentic removeable hat storage crate in webbing on a wooden frame - intact and well preserved - in great condition for age
- Leather rear lid supports, leather edging trim to body and interior lid sides and steel clips to interior lid, possibly missing a central bar, used to store accessories (gloves and hat pins?)
-Original maker's label to interior F Best & Cos Own Make Aldford Street 64A S Audley St. W. (and crown emblem)
- Authentic vintage shipping labels - Union Castle S (Stateroom), Union Castle Hold Not Wanted On Voyage Name : Lord Crichton-Stuart Vessel : Winchester Castle Port of Destination: Cape Town, Cape Town Union Castle, South African Railways T.1.
- Vintage style paper inventory label.
At Vintage Trunks & Chests we work with care, expertise & attention to fine detail. Our restorations are completed using time-honoured methods & everything is finished in numerous coats of a premium wax polish to naturally enhance, revive & protect the original patina.
Owned and used by either or both Lord Crichton-Stuart & The Rt Hon The Earl of Dalhousie - intriguing characters and families of historical interest.
We believe this piece to be Edwardian and therefore used by Lord Colum Edmund Crichton-Stuart who entered into the diplomatic service nominated an Attaché in 1910, went to Cairo in 1911 and was later appointed an attacheship at the British Consulate-General in Cairo working under Lord Kitchener. Read more about him here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord_Colum_Crichton-Stuart
We believe the reference A.D.C to signify he was aide-de-camp to Earl Dalhousie on the SS Winchester Castle (a ship built for the Union-Castle Line in 1930). The 14th Earl, Arthur Ramsay, died in 1928 but he was posted to South Africa and served in the Second Boer War which ties in with the older South Africa shipping labels. Read more about him here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Ramsay,_14th_Earl_of_Dalhousie.
So we believe this piece of luggage could have firstly belonged to the 14th Earl before being passed on either to his wife Lady Mary Heathcote-Drummond (Countess of Dalhousie) and used for her own travels, including on the SS Winchester Castle, or by his son John Gilbert Ramsay who became the 15th Earl in 1928 (Read more about him here http://www.thepeerage.com/p1133.htm#c11325.1). We think the initials M.D could stand for the Marquess of Dalhousie or Mary Drummond.
It's a bit of a puzzle to unravel how all the different people mentioned on the labels were involved with this piece of luggage - and we may not be entirely correct - nevertheless it undoubtedly has an absolutely intriguing history!
The heritage finish on this luggage includes discolouration to the canvas in places, some scuffing to the leatherwork, the occasional missing rivet at the corners and the right hand clasp doesn't always stay closed in place when being moved. The webbing on the interior crate has come off the original pins in places, we haven't repaired this but preserved in its original state.
Our standard delivery charge is to Mainland UK addresses only and can now include a Saturday delivery. If you are outside this area please get in touch prior to purchase so we can provide a quote to ship to your postcode. In an effort to reduce our consumption of new materials we are currently trialling the use of recycled packaging when shipping our items. So your parcel is likely to arrive with you wrapped in re-used cardboard :) You can be sure your item will still be packaged safely to protect it in transit and you'll be involved in helping the planet!
Antique, vintage and pre-owned goods by their very nature are not new, they have their own unique quirks & imperfections. Our antique & vintage trunks & chests & hand crafted items made from reclaimed materials will inevitably show some signs of wear & tear commensurate with age & previous use which may include: knocks, bumps & dents; scrapes, scuffs & scratches; marks, stains, fading & discolouration; snags, tears, peeling & wrinkling; surface corrosion; exposed fixings; old fixing holes; missing pieces; shrinkage gaps; paint remnants; small repairs; old/treated woodworm; corroded & missing metalwork; sharp edges; newly-fitted & replacement parts including fixtures & fittings. Notable quirks are outlined & the photographs are integral to the written description.
1-2 business days
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Just contact me within: 14 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 30 days of delivery
Request a cancellation within: 7 days of purchase
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Because of the nature of these items, unless they arrive damaged or defective, I can't accept returns for:
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
Information We Collect
To fulfil your order, you must provide us with certain information (which you authorised Etsy to provide to us), such as your name, email address, postal address, payment information, and the details of the product that you’re ordering. You may also choose to provide us with additional personal information (for a custom order for example), if you contact us directly.
Why We Need Your Information and How We Use It
We rely on a number of legal bases to collect, use, and share your information, including:
- as needed to provide our services, such as when we use your information to fulfil your order, to settle disputes, or to provide customer support;
- when you have provided your affirmative consent, which you may revoke at any time, such as by signing up for our mailing list;
- if necessary to comply with a legal obligation or court order or in connection with a legal claim, such as retaining information about your purchases if required by tax law; and
Information Sharing and Disclosure
Information about our customers is important to our business. We share your personal information for very limited reasons and in limited circumstances, as follows:
- Service providers. We engage certain trusted third parties to perform functions and provide services to our shop, such as delivery companies. We will share your personal information with these third parties, but only to the extent necessary to perform these services.
- Business transfers. If we sell or merge our business, we may disclose your information as part of that transaction, only to the extent permitted by law.
- Compliance with laws. We may collect, use, retain, and share your information if we have a good faith belief that it is reasonably necessary to: (a) respond to legal process or to government requests; (b) enforce our agreements, terms and policies; (c) prevent, investigate, and address fraud and other illegal activity, security, or technical issues; or (d) protect the rights, property, and safety of our customers, or others.
If you reside in certain territories, including the EU, you have a number of rights in relation to your personal information. While some of these rights apply generally, certain rights apply only in certain limited cases. We describe these rights below:
- Access. You may have the right to access and receive a copy of the personal information we hold about you by contacting us using the contact information below.
- Change, restrict, delete. You may also have rights to change, restrict our use of, or delete your personal information. Except exceptional circumstances (like where we are required to store data for legal reasons) we will generally delete your personal information upon request.
- Object. You can object to (i) our processing of some of your information based on our legitimate interests and (ii) receiving marketing messages from us after providing your express consent to receive them. In such cases, we will delete your personal information unless we have compelling and legitimate grounds to continue using that information or if it is needed for legal reasons.
- Complain. If you reside in the EU and wish to raise a concern about our use of your information (and without prejudice to any other rights you may have), you have the right to do so with your local data protection authority.
For purposes of EU data protection law, we, Simon Challis & Kerry Clow, are the data controllers of your personal information. If you have any questions or concerns, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Alternately, you may mail us at:
Vintage Trunks & Chests, Swallow Barn, Fen Road, Toynton All Saints, Spilsby, Lincs. PE23 5DF UK
We aim to dispatch all orders for in stock trunks and chests within 1-2 business days by 24 hour courier. After purchase do let us know if you have a preferred date for delivery so we can arrange this for you and feel free to add a note with any additional instructions for the courier. We also need a mobile telephone contact number for the courier text alert service before we can book your item in for delivery so please let us have this asap to avoid any delay! We aim to complete and deliver made to order items within 21 days. Very large, heavy and high value items may be hand-delivered by arrangement.
Our new courier service provider is able to send customers an automated text notification on the morning of the scheduled delivery with a 2 hour window to help you plan your day. If you have any questions or additional instructions regarding your delivery, please contact us - we are more than happy to help!
Our standard charge applies to Mainland UK addresses and can now include a Saturday delivery! If you are outside this area please contact us first so we can provide a quote to ship to your postcode. We may be able to offer a Global Shipping option for some of our items - please contact us for a personalised quote from our specialist antiques shipping partner.
All our items are hand finished in several coats of a quality wax polish. A wax finish naturally enhances the wood and revives and protects the original patina, however it doesn't have the same protection as a lacquered finish (the type you may find on shop bought furniture). So to keep your item in tip top condition it's advised to wax it periodically depending on the wear and tear it receives, the suggestion for a coffee table is twice a month. Only the top need be done with a clear wax according to the instructions on the product used. You may also wish to wax the whole piece every 6-12 months to maintain the finish. This will feed, hydrate and protect the wood, maintain the depth of colour and help your furniture to stay looking great!
In an effort to reduce our consumption of new materials we are currently trialling the use of recycled packaging when shipping our items. So your parcel is likely to arrive with you wrapped in re-used cardboard :) You can be sure your item will still be packaged safely to protect it in transit and you'll be involved in helping the planet!